Hello

Say Hi and hang out here

Hello

Postby Drakon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 am

Hello,
New to the forum and droid building. I might want to try something small before I jump into a big type droid. I am a 501st member and have been for 15+ years. I can't wait to get started. Any ideas and what direction I should turn would be money.
Thanks,
Matt

Name: Devin

Re: Hello

Postby R2DEVO » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Matt!

A small droid is a good starting point, and very fun to troop with.

Mouse droids (MSE-6) are always popular.
Scrubber droids are cool, kind of the mouse droid of the prequels. The main body is an off the shelf storage bin, easy to get going, although not very recognizable to most fans.

A few people here have done some cool static gonk droids.

BB-8 is small ;)

There are some other new small droids from TFA. I'm not sure of their names yet, but they can be seen rolling around in the background of a few scenes. These are ones that club members Lee and Oliver made, of course in addition to R2!

Welcome aboard :)

Have you ever tinkered with RC stuff before? Electronics? Happy to help with that kind of stuff.

Name: Lynelle

Re: Hello

Postby lynellephi » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:04 pm

HI, Drakon!! Glad you found us!

Mouse droids are the easiest and cheapest to make. I bought the shell from Darren Murrer on the astromech.net boards, the IC chips and side stuff on ebay, a really cheap VEX controller on ebay, and wheels/motors/speed controllers/etc from Colpar Hobbies. Once I got all the parts it took me about three weekends to build it. For other droids a good reference type forum is www.rebeldroids.net, all droids other than R series units. We'll be more than happy to help you on your journey of droid building.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Return to Introductions and General Chat