wegotthetools Gonk Droid build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: John

wegotthetools Gonk Droid build

Postby wegotthetools » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello everyone! I decided to do something different! I made a presentation on how to build a Gonk Droid Face plate. This is not a full build but it is a full section of the build! please let me know what you think.

here is the link to the presentation.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing

Name: Devin

Re: wegotthetools Gonk Droid build

Postby R2DEVO » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am

Rad :)

Now I feel like I need to get my gonk on!

Postby wegotthetools » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm

I cleaned up my face box a little today. I trimmed the screw hanging out the back and sanded it so it wasn't sharp, I also cut the hot glue hairs off the face with a razor.

100_1494[1].JPG

100_1495[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby wegotthetools » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:16 pm

This is what I'm going to work on next. The ribs on the side of this box are gonna be sanded down so when you cut the hole to put the face into it will slide in!

100_1496[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

Very nice! Keep it up :)

Postby wegotthetools » Sat May 02, 2015 2:44 pm

I did a bit more today. I drilled some holes for some LED lights then I painted my face box black. After the paint was dry and I put on a few more coats on and I glued the lights in. There were some metal pieces I installed on the face and I scratched the paint off them to make it look weathered. The paint on the plastic box scratches off really easy so if I have a spot were that happens I get a Q-tip and put spray paint on it then retouch it. sometimes it gives it more of a weathered look.

[attachment=2]100_1497.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]100_1498.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]100_1499.JPG[/attachment]

Postby wegotthetools » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

This is the power supply/control box. I drilled all the holes I needed on the box, and I installed/soldered the wires together on only the face box and left the two wires I will need to connect to the switch and the battery unconnected so I can mount the power box latter on. I also made sure that I had a lot of wire hanging off the two untouched wires from the face box so that no matter were I put the power box it will reach. The power box is made out of a old tape holder for a recorder. Cassette tape holders usually have two prongs and I did not want that to get in my way. The LED lights I used have resistors in them and it is a simple circuit that consist of a toggle switch (to turn them on and off), three LED lights, and a nine volt battery. I am gonna have to take everything out the power box and take off the toggle when I mount the power box and paint the droid latter on. If you wanted to you can paint the power box a different color but mine will be the same as the body. I will glue it onto the unpainted body and then when it drys I will drill threw the body so I can mount the toggle switch in the box and have the battery hook up available.

100_1500.JPG

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Sun May 03, 2015 1:15 pm

NICE!! The power box looks awesome!
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Postby wegotthetools » Tue May 05, 2015 3:15 pm

This is how I make my leg covers (Insulated Leg Sheath). Pick up a good amount of air dryer hose. Make sure it can fit a 2x4 inside of it because they will need to cover them. Mine go over the 2x4 a little snug but I didn't experience any misshaping. I picked up some flat black Rust-oleum ultra cover paint+primer because it bonds really good to the metal. I got a piece of PVC pipe and put the dryer hose on it and made sure the hose was not touching anything on the outside. You don't really want to use your 2x4 here because you will need to paint some of it silver for the feet. My over all height for the last Gonk droid was 34 inches tall, my feet were 4 inches tall, and my legs were 9 and a half inches tall. That being said I use a total of 66 inches of stretched out hose for my legs (fully stretched hose) and I cut that in half so I have a cover for each leg. It looks nice with it being so long because you can bunch it up in parts.

100_1512.JPG

100_1513.JPG

100_1514.JPG

Postby wegotthetools » Tue May 05, 2015 3:22 pm

I really like a weathered Gonk Droid. This is how I weather my leg covers. I get a razor blade and I go with the wires in the tube. Not up and down the leg but more of a back and forth. Do this after your paint drys! you can also close and open the hose a lot because sometimes that weathers the paint. It is easier to do when the tube is bundled together.

100_1515.JPG

100_1516.JPG

100_1518.JPG

Next

Return to Build Threads