wegotthetools Gonk Droid build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: John

Re: wegotthetools Gonk Droid build

Postby wegotthetools » Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Hey guys! Today I worked on the Heavy Power Plug-in Sockets. These are extremely easy to make! I cant remember what size tub I used for my last gonk but I had some left over lid plastic from the last one and that's really what I use to make the panels on my Gonk. I will get you the tub size latter but this is how I did this. Get two fruit cups and your lid and make a plate that both of them will fit on with a little gap in the middle. make it as square as you can and then mount them on with hot glue or any other epoxy! I put little greebles on my sockets but they are ready to mount and paint!

100_1519.JPG

100_1520.JPG

100_1521.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Can't wait to see it in person!! Weathering is always good to have. The Safeway label gives it some class. LOL Like you bought the Gonk in a grocery store....
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Postby wegotthetools » Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 pm

lynellephi wrote:Can't wait to see it in person!! Weathering is always good to have. The Safeway label gives it some class. LOL Like you bought the Gonk in a grocery store....

In the end you would never know haha :lol: ! I use the lid for texture but it is practically unknown when its painted.
Last edited by wegotthetools on Thu May 07, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wegotthetools » Thu May 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey everyone! The size for the tubs I use are 66 qt, but of course you can make them bigger or smaller if you want! Today I bought my bottom tub and worked on it a bit! I installed a long panel on it that will fit a electrical strip and a Tupperware container on the bottom to house my soundboard! I also made panels from the lid of the tub and put some greebles on. You really need to measure twice and cut once. I really like to use hot glue because it is easy to work with and it can look like you used a welder. I also used hot glue to put on my panels and greebles. I left room for my feet that I am still waiting to make but for now this is what I got.

100_1642[1].JPG

100_1643[1].JPG

100_1644[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Postby wegotthetools » Thu May 07, 2015 5:52 pm

More Pics

100_1646[1].JPG

100_1647[1].JPG

100_1648[1].JPG

Postby wegotthetools » Sat May 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Wow I forgot how fast these things go! Yesterday I made the upper half of the Gonk Droids body. I did not glue the face plate in yet because it is a different color then the body! What I did was find the middle of the upper body where I was gonna mount the face plate and drew a vertical line. Then I did the same thing to the face plate. I lined the two lines up and then made sure my face plate was level horizontally. After that I drew the outline of my face plate on the body and cut it out with my Dremel tool. Then I had to grind it down till the face plate slid in.

100_1676.JPG

100_1677.JPG

100_1678.JPG

Postby wegotthetools » Sat May 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Huge milestone in this build! I fit the two half's of the body together today! I made it so you can mount the top one on the bottom but sill remove it to get inside! I did this by getting a rivet and knocking the pin out so I really just had the T piece. I will glue the T piece to the top half so they don't fall out. First I got all the corners together and drilled holes in both the tubs in each of the corners. Then I put the pin in. I would have glued them to the top but I am running out of hot glue and have to run to the store.

100_1679.JPG

100_1680.JPG

100_1681.JPG

Postby wegotthetools » Sat May 09, 2015 7:26 pm

I went to the STEM event today! Here is a picture I took that makes me kinda happy.

100_1682.JPG

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Sun May 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Great going, John. So happy you could make it

Postby lightsaber-1 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:50 am

awesome John love the new build cant wait to see it all done!

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads