Devin's Scrubber Droid

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Devin

Devin's Scrubber Droid

Postby R2DEVO » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:58 am

Not that I have too much time to devote to another project...but I've been thinking about a scrubber droid for a while. Here's some of the work I've done so far.

Still much in the design stage

I'm planning on a custom drive system instead of an r/c car. It'll be more expensive but then I can really do what I want easier.
Differential steering with large 5" wheels dead center so it will be able to turn in place. One swivel caster on each end to balance it out.
Or it can be set up with the drive wheels in back and a single caster up front for a slightly different turning style.

Not sure about making the "mohawk" part on top. Might have to take some creative liberties on that part. The two tall greebs in back are just pipe bushings and a quick-disconnect.
I found a red light cap from McMaster-Carr that I think will work nice here.

Here you can see the drive system inside. Basically two 1/8" plates, either acrylic or aluminum. Plenty of space for batteries, speed controller, etc.

Name: Cal

Re: Devin's Scrubber Droid

Postby MonCal » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:30 am

Sweet :)

Postby R2DEVO » Mon May 11, 2015 11:28 am

Finally making a little progress now, kind of.

I tried 3D printing the "mohawk" on top of this guy. I think my extruder nozzle needs a good cleaning, because this print came out pretty bad. At one point is completely jammed. Then I got it to resume, but later on it looks likely only half the material was being put out.

Anyway, the overall shape came out so you can see how it fits on the box.

Postby lightsaber-1 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:44 am

very nice! hope to see more Devin! I am working on a baby gonk droid right now since I finished my big gonk droid!

Name: Thomas

Postby TeamTEOR » Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 am

That 3D printed part is awesome!

Postby R2DEVO » Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 am

Sure thing! I wouldn't call it perfect, but it's fairly close. I will share the file for anyone who wants it :)

Postby TeamTEOR » Fri May 06, 2016 4:27 pm

I had to cut it in half and scale it a pinch to make it fit on to my print bed, but it is printed! Thank you again for sharing the file, it was a great print!
As an after thought, I should have cut the STL file more so it could be printed without scaling it down (I did eventually cut it into 4 in-case I need to rebuild).
In the spirit is sharing as well, I offer some of the other part files that I made for my scrubber which can be found on my TinkerCAD profile.
Scrubber Droid by TeamTEOR, on Flickr

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Tue May 10, 2016 1:07 pm

WOW! NICE! Well, guess after five years it's time I got back to my scrubber build soon, right? :D
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Postby R2DEVO » Sun May 15, 2016 10:07 am

Looks great, Thomas!

For anyone else interested, here is a link to my mohawk file. It's certainly not perfect or even finished, but it's usable :)

Postby TeamTEOR » Mon May 30, 2016 10:08 pm

I'm happy with the Warning Lights. The lenses are 3D printed as well, and I am using a simple kit for the flashers and they are adjustable (they are on a slow setting in the video).
Watch on youtube.com

I am also sharing other parts as well like the dish, and side greeblies. The side greeblies (circles & ovasls) are installed using M3 x 6mm pan head screws.

The Dish is screwed in place with two M3-0.5 x 16mm cap head screws and a set of nylon lock nuts. In order to install the air hose connector (the one with the dish) to the mohawk I have drilled the stem out to accept a T-Nut and glued it in place in the bottom of the air hose connector. Then I drilled through the mohawk and installed a screw from the inside of the shell going through the mohawk into the T-Nut. It does double duty as it helps to hold the mohawk in place.

Next

Return to Build Threads