King Arthur, the mouse droid

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Lynelle

King Arthur, the mouse droid

Postby lynellephi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Sorry, no pics as I forgot to take some, but yesterday and today I made a lot of progress on King Arthur. Yesterday I went to Colpar Hobbies where the RC racing expert helped me fine tune the chassis and wheels, put on a motor for me, installed a motor controller, found the perfect servo, then had to stop working on it after two hours (while I watched and learned) because two people were behind me. He wanted to take care of them as customers until he found out they were watching and learning, too. Alas, real customers came in, he had to get back to work, and believed that I could figure out how to hook up everything (which I did). After plopping down $96 for motor, batter, speed controller, servo, and servo saver (a $5 wheel type thing that snaps onto the server) I finally went home satisfied that more progress was made in that two hours than I've done in two months!

Today Kent helped me do some cutting on the bottom shell for the wheels and chassis, and did a nice job of putting on a few coats of paint. I spent most of the day sanding, measuring, cutting, sanding again (and again) the bottom shell for the wheels and chassis. While the paint was drying I decided to hook up the electronics and see if everything worked. It's simple enough, but somehow it goes backwards and won't turn left. I'm using an old VEX remote, so I think I have to find the manual for it online and see if there are a few settings I need to do. Other than that everything works, sort of.

I also need to make the middle board to seperate top and bottom and to have a way to attach the shell to the chassis posts. I think it's simple enough, but I'll need to do more research. In the meantime, it's sitting in it's new bin that I found at Walmart in the Christmas section for $9. The bin is a little tall, but with the top greeblies it should be fine. It was the only one that was long enough (and tall enough) for the King. I'm guessing one more weekend and it should be done with the exception of side panels and top greeblies. I hope.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Re: King Arthur, the mouse droid

Postby lynellephi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Another fun day with Arthur, this time at Cal's studio. We got the chassis and controllers to work right (he now moves forward and turns left), inserted a piece of board to hold the bottom shell on, and started trimming the shells. I had no idea it was suppose to be trimmed before painting, but at least I know what I have to do to finish. I spent some time looking at Cal's mouse droid and figured out some things like the center board that holds the two shells together. So, this weekend I'll finish trimming and painting, get some perf board to start on the side panels, and take it for a test drive.
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Name: Cal

Postby MonCal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm

It's great to see you making progress on it :) I wish I could spend more time helping you though :( ...dangit.

I have been thinking about the wooden rails. I could try to slip that in one day and get those cut for you. I need the measurements of your shell, the inside lengths of the two sides so I know how long to cut the rails.

Hey, we could probably put this thread in the "build thread" area of the forums? I would try but I don't know if I have that ability or even if I could figure it out :P

Postby lynellephi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, this probably be moved to a build thread somewhere. In the meantime (darn, where are those pics I never took? LOL), this is what I did yesterday:
1. shells are trimmed and sanded (need to paint edges again)
2. inner frame pieces are cut (need lots of sanding, fitting, and piecing together)(thanks, Cal, for helping me on those)
2. both side panels started with sockets in (need to glue on back)
3. ordered IC chips for side panels (need to wait for box to arrive)

Need to pick up tiny screws for side panels, fit everything together, and make a test run. Oh, and finalize my Flaming Excaliber graphics for someone to make a vinyl sticker. I'm bypassing the top greeblies for now (some in the movies didn't have any top greeblies). He should be ready to run all over the hotel at Galaxyfest.

Postby MonCal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 pm

You should be able to find some really small screws either at ACE or hobbytown.

I order the screws and nuts from McMaster.com. I believe they are the 2-56 x 1/2" slotted screw, part number 90283A081. Nuts part number: 90480A003

Also, the part number for the round disc capacitor from All Electronics is 271D50. I need to order some of these too at the moment, for the speeder :)

Postby MonCal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Lynelle,
I am going to place an order for the disc capacitors here in a few minutes and I might get extras since they have discounts at higher quantities, if you want me to get you some.

Postby MonCal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 pm

I got the capacitors in and I have enough for your droid if you want them. I'll figure out the cost..no markup! :) If not, no biggie. I can use them for stock supplies.

Postby lynellephi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 am

YAY!! I was about to order some, too, but if you already got them that's great!! I don't know when I can pick them up, but we'll figure out something. I think this Saturday I need to go to the Springs for a Galaxyfest meeting. If there isn't one, I can swing by your place.

Postby lynellephi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 am

In the meantime, I got most of the IC chips into the appropriate sockets (not all sockets have chips). I've decided to wait on the three lower left odd panels for later (since I'm running out of time, only two weeks until Galaxyfest). I finished the inside frame, still need to cut the ends of the middle board that holds the bottom shell on, and replace the bolts on the chassis for full-length threaded bolts. I'll probably head for Ace Hardware on Friday for that. And I still need to finalize my Excaliber graphic. And clean up the fine sawdust from the frame. Almost done!! For now anyway.

Postby MonCal » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Right on!

Good job on the progress.

Next

Return to Build Threads