Devin's Astromech Build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Devin

Re: Devin's Astromech Build

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Well, after fulfilling my cpr dummy photo promise....Friday night update!

After I spent all that time grinding away at the motors and battery boxes....I can't even get this battery box mounted right. I tapped some holes for screws to slide into the mounting features on my JAG foot shells, but I can't pull the battery box up enough to get the screw head into the large hole, it just hits the bottom of the gear casing. Maybe grinding some more of the bottom of the battery box will do the trick...or maybe more grinding of the gear casing. Leaving them off for now....

Center ankle and foot finally installed! I'm pretty happy with the height of all the wheels relative to each other, although I think I need to shorten my foot to shoulder rods because now sometimes my drive wheels spin a bit on smooth surfaces, not enough traction sometimes. But most of time it's all good. I can finally bump up the speed from 20% on the transmitter. 40% seems pretty good now.

Free standing! No more blocks under the ankles. He is still leaning forward slightly, pretty sure I need to shorten those leg rods to pull the body back and get more pressure on the drive wheels.

Test drive!

See some of you at the choo choo place tomorrow!

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:15 pm

It was pretty fun rolling around on 3 legs!

Don't worry too much about R2's kisses, it's just that I still like to think of my droidchild as being innocent and not ready for dating ;)

Now about those legs...when I ordered this com8 frame, I asked James to include the curved races as used in JAG frames (see here: http://www.r2-r9.com...s-pdf/JAG04.pdf) since he now only includes that feature on his fancy new 2-3-2 frames.

So now my legs can swivel. James includes two locking plates to lock the legs in either 2 or 3 leg mode, but those are more suited for a semi-permanent setup and I wanted something I can move on the fly, or possibly via automated 2-3-3 mechanism in the future.

so...here's what it looks like in there:

I designed some parts and had them waterjet. One bolts to the side plates on the frame using some existing holes, and the other (the round one) turns along with the legs. The both have holes that line up so I can use two quick-release pins to keep the legs in place.

The red rod here is there to keep the ankles from pivoting, that's how he can stand on 2 legs without toppling over. But I think the rod is a bit too long, and it's making the body lean forward slightly. I think I'll need to make the leg rod adjustable to get it just right instead of guessing the hole spacing since my model didn't match the real world exactly.

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Not exactly R2 progress, and not even Star Wars, but it is another movie robot!

It's one of the theater displays for promoting WALL-E. I found someone in Phoenix selling it on craigslist. I have a friend there who held it for me for about a month, and we just picked it up this weekend. Lucky for us, it was also my mom's birthday weekend and she was spending it with her friends in Sedona, AZ so we had a place to stay. I also met DroidWelder (David L) while we were in Phoenix and picked up an Endor rebel "donut" that goes on the helmet. It just all worked out great, except all that driving in a matter of four days :(

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:18 pm

a J5 would be fantastic! Him, R2, and LEGOs is pretty much what got me where I am today. I suspect that will be a bit out of my price range (~$50k estimated from the input-inc team) but I hope to one day have at least the r/c version from the sequel, possibly made on my printer :)

Kent, you must give WALL-E a shot! As far as robot movies go, this one is top notch.

I live in 3D environments all day at work, whether it's programming robots or designing parts, luckily I quite enjoy CAD work! I actually used some R2 renders when I was interviewing for my current job ;)

Not 100% accurate, but I like to think they look pretty nice:

I love how the holoprojectors came out on this last one:

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

I had my own little troop today at our company picnic, he was quite the hit :)
Poor photo, but here he is with a "real" robot inside a robotic laser cladding system.

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Saturday was fun!

I need to get some more work done. I think next up might be putting the details on the feet, then adding parts to the skins so I can attach the outer layer. I'm going to try to use self-clinching studs to mount that stuff. Also need to diffuse my PSI lights so you aren't looking at individual LEDs.

I've also taken a look at Lynelle's R2-AL's legs and ankles and identified a few problem areas. We're going to order some new hardware to get him Celebration ready :) I'm very much looking forward to more events with several moving and talking droids. AL-fixing day at Cal's place??

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:22 pm

One year ago today, this happened:

And my wonderful wife let this happen:

Watch on youtube.com

Great wedding with a great wife :)

/no...no progress on my droid this weekend

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks guys :)

That R2-A6 belongs to Gene Arena in California. He also has an awesome R2-D2, which was in-progress when I was looking for a ring bearer. But I think A6 was perfect with the polished dome and green coloring, it really fit in well with the wedding colors.

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:25 pm

After spending yesterday afternoon taking AL apart and partially back together, I decided to do some work on my own. But not on Big Red, as Lynelle called him. :)

This time it's another fiberglass R5 dome just like Brian's. I decided to cut out some room for the Rockler bearing, since this dome design did not take that into account. I did like Brian and Cal did and used a small routing table I picked up on craigslist a while back.

I cut out a fixture from some 1/4" mdf. I used CAD to design it, printed it out at 1:1 scale, then cut it out with a jigsaw.

I did the outer pass first, which cleared room for the OD of the Rockler. My bit was only 1/2" so it took another pass with my fixture moved further away to clear the rest away.

The cutting went well, but now I've run into the same problem that Brian did, where the rockler dome mounting pattern is slightly too large to fit into the R5 dome. A problem for another day!

Another thing to decide is color scheme....I was originally thinking orange (R4-A2), but I was also originally thinking of doing two astromechs, which I don't think is going to happen now.
I guess an orange dome with a white/blue R2-D2 body would somethink like this shoe:

Postby R2DEVO » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:27 pm

awww come on, I'm sure it's not as bad as you make it out to be. And if it is, just go with extreme weathering :)
I'm quite looking forward to weathering once I'm all assembled and painted white.

I did a little concept work on the R5 situation, this is the solution I'm leaning toward.
Basically two 1/8" waterjet/laser cut aluminum plates that bring the dome mounting bolt pattern inward.

It requires two levels of cuts on the inside of the dome, using the same method we've already tried.
Here comes the CAD (and bonus eyerolls from Kent!) :P

The plate that is fixed to the dome could have a little shelf as shown for electronics, I was thinking of adding mounting holes for the slip ring boards.

Since I don't have a dome plate for any of my R2 domes, I could just have one made with this bolt pattern so all my domes will interchange easily.

Now I'm leaning toward R5-X2. I like the pinstripe around the eyes.

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads