Devin's Astromech Build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Devin

Devin's Astromech Build

Postby R2DEVO » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:57 am

Here we go....going to try and copy my thread from the MG forums...

Re: Devin's Astromech Build

Postby R2DEVO » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi guys and gals, I've never started a progress thread for any of my projects, but I'm pretty excited tonight and thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot

Why am I excited? It lives! My astromech has finally taken its first steps, and with no training foot :)

A little bit about my build:
I started collecting parts a couple years ago and now its finally looking like a proper droid.
It is mostly metal parts from the Club, so no exciting scratch build action will be coming from me :(

I have two domes (one aluminum, one styrene), I'm going for R2-D2 and R3-T2 since they appear to share the same body.

Here's a quick video of his first stroll
Watch on youtube.com

You may notice a couple pieces of wood between his ankles and feet, those are for a little extra stabilization. I think my leg rod may be slightly too long and he leans forward just a bit, so those pieces of wood give me a little more comfort.

But only a little. I haven't driven on three legs (don't have a center ankle yet) but I imagine that is far less terrifying than just two legs. It always feels like he's going to topple.

That's all for now, see some of you this Saturday at Wings over the Rockies :)

Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I will be surprised if there is no face-planting for me at some point. But the good thing about building these yourself is that you know how to fix it, right? :)

Did a little more twirling this morning, a lot of the clanking is the ankles bracelets since they aren't secured by anything. Then at the end I think one of the foot casters got stuck.

Watch on youtube.com

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Couple new things in the last few days:

1. Slip ring kit all soldered, hoping to have some dome electronics going soon

2. Shoulder hydraulics came unthreaded, how rude. Now they're tapped (8-32) and installed

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

With that handy slip ring installed, now it's time for some lights! I've had a Teeces kit for over year, it's great to finally get it in there. I also put in the HPs (from Cal, along with the radar eye and logic surrounds)

I don't think I'll get much else ready before DCC, but I'm very happy to have lights going at last.
Watch on youtube.com

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Going backwards now....took his legs all apart to make some modifications and do some painting.

The good news is that I finally have a center ankle. Once I get the right hardware to actually install it, I'm gonna be 3-leggin' it at last. I won't be so nervous about him falling over soon :)

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Now that everyone is out of my house, I spent most of the day finally working on my own droid, specifically the skins. It's almost 10pm now, and I can say that my droid will no longer be the exhibitionist of the group. Truth be told, it saddens me to say that.

I bought some the skin snaps from Darren when I bought my 300mm dome. My COM-8 frame has hole for the skin blocks, but I opted for the skin snaps instead to hide the screws. I've been putting this off for quite a while since it meant taking things apart even further than they were on Saturday. I had to paint my skirt anyway, so I went ahead and disassembled down to almost a bare frame.

Here is the guide I used (in photo gallery format): http://astromech.net...&g2_itemId=7175

Tracing the skins snaps on the top plate

Skin snaps clamped in place for drilling

Tapping the holes in the frame (4-40 thread)

First skin snap secured!

Front inner skin snapped in place

The guide I linked to shows many pictured of an earlier JAG frame (I think) which had a sort of shelf under the shoulder where the middle skin snap goes. The COM-8 frame has no such shelf, so I tried to line it up with the top edge of this skins here.

Front and rear inner skins secured to frame. +1 Droid Decency!

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Got a bit more done this weekend.

Some painting:

The NPC 2212 motors are too large to fit into the battery boxes and must be ground down a bit.

This battery box was a little trickier to get on since the motors are not symmetrical. I ended up having to cut the actual battery box to even get it over the motor.

Now to actually put him back together for this Saturday....

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks guy!

I'm just gonna leave this here....

Name: Cal

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:22 pm

sooo weird :)

Next

Return to Build Threads