Steve's T3 Build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Steve Skura

Re: Steve's T3 Build

Postby Skudster13 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:09 pm

The body, yes. The skin, hopefully. The electronics, only if I get some major help. They are proving much more difficult than I had imagined and I am waiting on some parts that may or may not get here in time. Coding those electronics could prove mind-blowing also. Here's keeping my fingers crossed though.

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Tue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

Well don't hesitate to ask for any local help :)

Are you going straight for the 3 axis neck or going to start out basic? That is something I've been looking at on a wall-e neck, too. With the T3 head being so large, the neck joint will have to be pretty solid.

Postby Skudster13 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm going to start out simple and then see how to add tilt.

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 pm

WOW!! It's got a great start! I'm totally psyched about having a T3 in the local area.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Name: Cal

Postby MonCal » Fri May 09, 2014 10:30 am

Nice. Keep up the good work and keep feeding us with eye candy ;)

Postby Skudster13 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:18 am

So far I've only got the stencils for the feet cut out. I would have gotten more done, but my 3 year old decided I needed to vacuum the house today.

Postby Skudster13 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Okay, so today I worked with cardboard. I mentioned in my last post that I made stencils for the feet. Those cuts would be terrible without them.

I wasn't all too thrilled with having to make my head out of cardboard, but it's going to be MUCH lighter than trying to do it with wood. I still have a bunch of structuring to do on the inside as well as some more cardboarding on the outside, but it's starting to look like something. :)

I also figured out that stitching (leatherworking style) with some thin wire makes for some easy and strong bindings. With some glue and wood putty, this thing should hold up pretty well.

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Sat May 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Cool! Ever consider using thin styrene sheet to do the head? It's be light and very smooth, and probably more durable than cardboard. You saw how those little buttholes at Wings can be.

Still, impressive for cardboard. It's probably look pretty good after some paint and weathering.

Postby Skudster13 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Well, I'm considering replacing it in the future with something better, like styrene. Right now budget is very tight and I don't have the proper tools to make it out of styrene anyway. I'll just have to make sure it gets replaced before the next wings.

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Wed May 14, 2014 6:45 pm

You could add resin for rigidity. Here's a link to hardening cardboard with a couple ways of doing it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5729545_harden-cardboard.html

I also found a youtube vid of how to make a cardboard boat. He used newspaper and varnish on the outside. This might be a good cheap solution, then you can probably prime and paint it. I don't know how varnish really works, but I know it's stiff!
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

PreviousNext

Return to Build Threads