R2-AL and Goldie Upgrades

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Lynelle

R2-AL and Goldie Upgrades

Postby lynellephi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:44 am

It's about time I started on AL's upgrades. First up was ordering the Midwest R2 group's foot drive systems. They arrived fully assembled except the casters, ready to install. Next month I'll put them in and take pics, but right now I'm still not allowed to lift anything heavy. This weekend I'll be working on his dome electronics (lights) at NoCo Maker Fair.

For Goldie I ordered and received the full scale styrene blueprints with instruction manual. I'll have the manual with me this weekend but the prints will stay home. If anybody needs to borrow a print and promise not to cut it up or damage it, I'm willing to set up some sort of "library" system. These prints can be ordered on the astromech forum for $125 for the full set. It includes frame, skins, skirt, legs, feet, half moons, shoulder hubs, ankles, battery boxes, shoulder horseshoes, and an R5 dome. It does not include any other domes or any greeblies. The instructions do not include electronics but does include basic tools you'll need for a styrene build.

I bought the plans so I can get Goldie proper skins. Currently she has a PVC tube over a wooden frame (not sure why), so I'm taking off the PVC tube and making her styrene skins (as soon as I order the styrene). Her dome should fit better on the body after this upgrade. I also have a center leg for her bought on the astromech junkyard. I've got some sanding and bondoing to do on it but it looks reasonably OK.

Lots to do, but I'll get it all done by April for Celebration Anaheim.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Re: R2-AL and Goldie Upgrades

Postby lynellephi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Well, we didn't get AL's dome lights soldered in. Apparently there are flanged and flangeless 3mm LED lights. I got the flanged ones about a year ago. Wouldn't you know it, I need flangeless. I think I'll just put in standard lights into AL instead of my green/amber/soft white lights plan. Devin can get the standard red/blue/white/green ones, flangeless of course. Live and learn. Yeah, now we definitely need a droid build day before year end. 189 days until Celebration Anaheim.
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Postby lynellephi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I got an email from Midwest R2 club asking if I wanted the pre-made ready-to-ship PS2 control system board. It's all the foot drive electronics mounted on a board without the soldering to go with AL's new foot drive system I bought from the same people. So I said "heck yeah!". $600 later the plug-n-play board is on it's way. All I have to do is sync the PS2 controller after I hook up the labeled wires. Midwest R2 sure makes it simple. A bit pricy, but worth it to me at this point.

I still have the budget JEDI system to put together for all the dome stuff, but at this time just getting AL to roll without any complications (cross your fingers) will make me happy. I'll still order the right LED's pretty soon for his dome and work on the JEDI stuff when I have time.

Goldie may or may not go to C7. I bought a new Honda Fit (Frieda Francine Fit, the triple F gal) and the droids can stand up in it. But with bins and costumes and AL and King Arthur and a cooler and a suitcase, I don't think Goldie will fit. So, for the time being she's on the back burner. And I still have to rub off all the paint on the new HP's since I forgot to rough up the surface and the paint ran off (it's all gloppy). Oh well, live and learn.

In the meantime, I'm continuing (and determined) to finish my Veers uniform by Feb 21st so I can get submission pics. I've learned a lot about can spray painting with this project. Just when I thought I was doing it right....

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:45 am

Bring AL up and let's get him rolling!

Postby lynellephi » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 am

DRUMROLL, PLEASE!! After drilling some holes in thick metal which took some time, Devin and I got AL's new Midwest R2 club foot drive system and PS2 electronic board installed! And it works!!! I love the use of a PS2 controller, lightweight and don't have a heavy transmitter strapped around my neck. Since I've never had or used a PS system of any kind (I'm not much into video games) it's going to take some practice, but I think it'll be worth it. All I have to do is attach AL's legs and test drive. Next is his dome lights. Will they ever be done? And I might repaint some of his bronze parts just to spiffy him up a bit for Anaheim.

Postby lynellephi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:59 am

I've started the research on AL's drink dispenser to go with his drink tray. I found a couple fuzzy screenshots online, so I think I'll use the Sideshow R2 attachment as the main reference. If anyone has some good screen shots of the drink dispenser please post up. I want it done before Droid Con in June. Also, I might consider a third r2 - Jabba had another R2 bartender. White with a giant red vertical stripe on the dome. It's on the screen for just a few seconds but there are enough screenshots of it to make it next year in time for the next US Celebration. I'm really excited about that one since no one has made it yet! And I do have an accurate drink tray!

Return to Build Threads