lightsaber-1 R2 build

Droid builds and other club-related projects

lightsaber-1 R2 build

Postby lightsaber-1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 am

Ok So I decided I am far enough along in my build to start a builders thread so here goes. I want to say thanks o Devin and cal for all there help in getting me started on the path o building m R2 they both have been a great help so far.
I am going to post mostly pics with a few comments on how I have done thing but if you have a question then feel fre to ask me and I will gladly explain what I did.
On that note though I will start with I got my aluminum dome from Devin my frame from the mid west builders guys its a TC frame legs came from a builder in California and I made my own skins out of styrene. For the aluminum dome turns out that that run of domes had some gap issues so I had to cut the top off and split the inner dome to spread it out enough to close the gaps. there is a great tutorial in the build threads on the astromech builders site on how to do this that is where I learned how. But Ya! if you thinking that is scary to take your very expensive dome and chop it up hell ya it is! lol! But as you can see it all worked out just fine!
the inner skins took about 2 hrs to cut out and clean then mock up on him and I am in the process of finishing the outer skins right now. I am using .040 styrene for the skins and it is pretty easy to work with. I have a few pics of the before I cut them with the plans very lightly tacked to them for cutting. the trick is take your time. after cutting I peel the paper off and glean with goo gone and soap and water.

SO here are some pics of what I have done and where I am at so far.
this is where I cut my inner dome.
glued the top part of the inner dome onto the outer dome.
getting ready to cut the inner skins out.

So I hope to have his legs attached in a few weeks and then debating on making my own foot shells or getting some from Brenda's resin parts. we will see! More to come soon I hope!

Name: Lynelle

Re: lightsaber-1 R2 build

Postby lynellephi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 pm

That's AWESOME! You have more courage than I do cutting that inner dome, but glad it worked. With the outer dome on you really can't tell what was done to make it all fit. Great job! And I added you to our email list.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Postby lightsaber-1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:55 am

Image" alt="Image" width="200" class="hoverbox resize_me" />
ok so been working on R2 again and finally got his dome lights all put in yeah!! R2 lives!! so here ara some new progress pics of him he is finally starting to look like a real droid!!

Postby lightsaber-1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:16 am

finally got his dome electronics in and now he has some life to him!!
now R2 has legs!!!
R2 lives!! Yeah!! So here is where I am at now got his dome complete and done legs on frame done and inner skins ready to go on. next is making foot shells and adding more of his detail parts and front arms attached but he at least now looks like a real droid instead of a buch of parts scattered around my shop!!

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:46 pm

I can't see an of the new pics you recently posted :(

Postby lightsaber-1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 am

Hey Devon,
I don't know why you cant see them when I pull up my build log page they show up for me just fine. even when I was posting them I hit preview first and they showed up. and when I pull it up on my phone I can see them so not sure why you cant?
I did put the skirt on him today so have a few more pics to add again.

Postby R2DEVO » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:53 am

Weird. I can see the ones from the first post just not the new ones. But I'm only looking through my phone so far. Oh well :)

Postby lightsaber-1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 am

SO I have been working on my R2 a lot lately so here are some more progress pics I made my own temporary foot shells to make him look more complete till I can get his motors and steel foot shells that I would like for him.

ImageImage
ImageImage
so this is where he is at now but I have got more parts in and making more parts for him so more update to come!

Postby R2DEVO » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:37 am

Dude you're crushing it! Good work

Postby lightsaber-1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:47 pm

this is the most current pick of my R2 as of 3/19/2015 he has come along way this past winter!

Next

Return to Build Threads