MonCal's r2 build

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Cal

MonCal's r2 build

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:26 pm

I will begin copying and pasting my thread from the other forums also :)

Hopefully this will be helpful to the future new members.

From February 11,2009:

Hey gang,

I am finally putting some time into my R2 :)

I got most of the parts from a builder a couple years ago and it's pretty much just been sitting.

The frame would be fine for a static droid I think but I want to make a new frame that is a little more beefy ;) .... not USDA beefy but my own grade of beefy ;) hehe..

In the end I will probably overkill it but I grew up in construction and with most of our architects "overkill" was part of the game.

So I'm sort of restoring my droid. Here is the droid as I have "skinned" it or "de-boned" it maybe .... anyway I've removed the skin and am putting this frame to rest:

It'll probably be slow progress but I am sharing for fun :)

Now to decide which frame design to go with :)

Re: MonCal's r2 build

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:27 pm

Here are my legs, ankles, and feet. They're wood but really nice. I just don't know if I'm happy with the connections from the ankle joint to the wheels so I'm thinking about cutting out the slots a bit and putting in some aluminum channels that will bolt directly to the aluminum wheel housings and no stress will be on the shell. I'll probably put some metal sleeves for the ankle pins and use metal ankle pins instead of the wood dowels. I'm also not sure about the wood leg sliding into the wood ankle sleeve and how strong that will be.

There are other little details I want to change on the legs as well. I need to make aluminum ankle bracelets and secure the booster covers and horseshoes better... and eventually upgrade to aluminum detail parts.

Here is the body before I gutted him ;)

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:28 pm

I got my "backbone" finished :) :)

Next to Azman's droid:

It will fit inside the wood frame:

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I am not sure what the paint was off the top of my head. I believe it was the Rustoleum method. They were painted when I received them but I believe I have it in my notes somewhere... or at least I hope. I know I'll have to do some touch up after all the mods ;)

I made some more progress. It doesn't look like much. Gutting it and adding a backbone throughout the kit is turning out to be quite tedious :)

I cut out the foot shell so I could add a solid aluminum connection from the drive box up to the ankle and not have to rely on the wood for support. I also added a brass bushing and shoulder bolt to the ankle pivot:

And painting the frame.

I glued all the frame except the top ring so I could paint the wood and not the aluminum, then I pulled off the top ring, inserted and bolted the aluminum "backbone" and then glued the top ring in place:

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm

This is the first time it's been on 3 legs in a long time.

Maybe tomorrow I'll finish with the casters and get him rolling around ... and perhaps start putting the rockler bearing and dome on :)

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 pm

This was pretty exciting for me. I really don't get to build many fun things for myself anymore and I'm past the remodeling phase of this build.

I plugged the old pivot hole in the center ankle and drilled a new one, built a new aluminum inner support frame for the caster attachment and installed the casters.... and voila..... he is taking his first steps, rolling around that is :

I then was able to put the dome and ring together. The rockler bearing is sitting to the left:

I wasn't sure how I was going to get the dome and ring together. They just would not fit together because the tolerances were too tight. I read something a couple years ago about doing this and thought I'd give it a shot. The dome was just a smidgen smaller than the ring and they're supposed to fit together. I left the ring outside in the 32 degree weather over night and in the morning I put the dome upside down on my vacuum forming table underneath the heating element for about 10 minutes to get it to expand. The two were snug but basically went right together with some tapping from a rubber mallet! Sweet! :)

Then I put the rockler bearing on the frame:

And for giggles I put Azman's clear dome on:

That's probably as much as I'll do to him until the end of April cause I have way too much to do but I'll do what I can to be ready for CV!!

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm

I have screws inside that go into the wood shells. There isn't any stress on the shells now so it doesn't take much to hold them in place.

We had a brand new little convention that had its debut in our town a couple weeks ago and I got a few more pics of the Hoth set with some of our droids.

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Oh my... has it really been two years???!! :)

Well, here are some old progress photos from two years ago:

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Postby MonCal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Next

Return to Build Threads