Astromech Storage

General Droid and Droid Building Discussion
Name: Joshua

Astromech Storage

Postby WyoLars » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 am

Well I finally threw the switch on R2.. And the batteries are dead, will not take a charge.

I'm sure Its because he was in a wyoming garage for 3 years.

Do you all take your batteries inside? And leave them on a battery tender or something? I know many store their R2s in a garage... Or is that just the California folks?

R2 is now in my computer room, but not sure how long that will last.

Name: Cal

Re: Astromech Storage

Postby MonCal » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I keep my R2 inside where it is warm, plus I use it just about every other week so it's not a big concern. I do recommend storing the batteries inside where it is warm. Leaving them plugged in probably isn't a bad idea. I don't know if it's necessary but I know there are circumstances where people do this, such as at a golf course. They leave the carts plugged in. That would probably be a good question for someone at batteries plus, to make sure.

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Also, I found out the hard way never to store batteries on cement floors (drains the battery somehow). I have mine unhooked from AL in a warm bedroom closet. The day before an event I'll put the batteries on a charger set on 10 amp charge. It takes less than two hours to charge up each battery. I usually have my chargers at events as well in case anyone needs an emergency charge. I haven't kept mine "plugged" in for storage since they're unplugged in a warm place and doesn't take long to recharge them. Having said that, trickle chargers are not a bad idea and might be useful in your case if the batteries are being stored in a cold garage (just put them on a table, not on the cement floor).
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Generally speaking, it's better to keep batteries cold rather than hot. But too much cold (like letting them freeze) is bad. I've been keeping mine in the garage, but I should probably do something since it's been so cold and the garage isn't heated.

It would be nice to bring him inside the living room, but I'm too lazy. Might just have to make due with a big christmas sweater.

Also related to storage and cold, I finally got things our back together today and my front casters do not want to turn nice. I think the lubrication gummed up from the recent cold

Return to General Droid Talk