Droid Transportation

General Droid and Droid Building Discussion
Name: Brian

Droid Transportation

Postby igrover » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 pm

So I needed a method of transporting the droid and found this thread on the R2 Builders club forum which showcases a few different ideas. My specific problem is that the droid will always be in 3-leg mode and thus some of the methods will not work.

http://astromech.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9534

One method I did look further into was the Droid Skid developed by Mr. Sparkle which you will find mentioned in the middle of the thread. I obtained a copy of his plans in a dxf format and found a company in Boulder who would cut them. I thought I was getting a cnc cutting service however the parts turned up being cut with a router and thus I had a burned wood black band around all the edges which I had to sand off. The cost for the work and the wood was $175. I will need to look into some rubber bumpers for the bottom edge and maybe some type of rails for the underneath side of the skid. Then I need to look into some kind of dolly to attach the skid to and then some foldable ramps to get the dolly up into the car. I inquired with Mr. Sparkle if the skid could be attached to a dolly for transport and thought his response was interesting in that the original concept of this skid was to basically mate the skid to the droid and then pick up the skid with attached droid and place it into a vehicle. Man that is one heavy lift!

The plans are up on the R2 Builders web site and I also have a set if anyone needs them.

As of today I have assembled the skid and glued it together although I have yet to mate the droid to the skid. My droid is currently in pieces awaiting some minor maintenance as well as some warmer weather. Hopefully after the Holidays I can give it a try and will post some pictures at that time.

Here are some pictures of his skid:

photo 1.JPG

Here is a picture of my skid before glue (black edges are the burnt wood):

Skid photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by igrover on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Droid Transportation

Postby igrover » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Another Mr. Sparkle Picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by igrover on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby igrover » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 pm

And another Mr. Sparkle picture:

photo 4.JPG

Name: Devin

Postby R2DEVO » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Cool, I'd love to try something like this. My current method is a bit of a pain.

I don't see why you couldn't stick this on a dolly. You could attach it with pipe clamps or U bolts.

Name: Lynelle

Postby lynellephi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 pm

I have those plans and was thinking of making it for the inside of my container that I'm still modifying. Yours is looking good, Tom.
http://r2-al.blogspot.com
"To Do is To Be" - Socrates, "To Be is To Do" - Plato, "Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

Return to General Droid Talk