MonCal's Mouse droid project

Droid builds and other club-related projects
Name: Cal

MonCal's Mouse droid project

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 pm

From Dec. 19th, 2007:

I finished the molds and was able to get a successful test pull for the mouse droid shell.

The original droid was 22" long. I scaled mine down to 82% which made it 18" long.... still plenty big for an R/C car! :)

And some pics of the wood molds.... cause I know someone is bound to accuse me of the dreaded "R" word ;)

I want to try some different, black plastic. The white ABS I used for this test is plenty thick but I think I might get some thick ..... dare I say...... styrene ;) ... thought I'd never willfully use styrene but it will be pretty thick so it should be fine... and if not.. I'll go back to ABS :)

I also need to work on my spacer to keep the halves apart. I might have to make a frame and then cast it in resin.

Re: MonCal's Mouse droid project

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm

From Jan. 4th, 2008:

Well... it took me 3 more test pulls and more bondo work in between but I think I'm happy with it now! :) I think I'll continue to use the .125 black styrene to make the shells.

I've designed a frame to hold the shells together and accomplish the look of the original. I cast the 4 sides of the frame in resin and molded them so that 1/2" magnets would fit in the corners which will hold the top shell to the bottom shell:

I'll glue and screw the first magnet to the frame:

And then the 2nd magnet will glue to the top half of the shell:

Here is the frame prior to painting it:

I designed a jig for the table saw so that I can cut the shells the same every time and straight too ;) The first one didn't come out too straight by hand..

I'm still trying to decide for sure but as of right now I think I can make 3 options:

1) Just the shell:

2) The shell and the resin frame:

3) The shell, resin frame, and magnets.. probably screws too:

I can't wait to show progress on the greeblies. They're coming along great but I want to have the full assembly finished first :) I'm super excited at how well they're turning out so far!!

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:40 pm

What do you think about this?

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 pm

From Jan. 14th, 2008:

The kit I designed isn't difficult at all. It just takes a while to assemble.

Here is the original:

And more pics of mine:

Prior to painting:

This is the kit for the "rack" or top greeblies. I custom made all of the resin pieces and the metal brackets. I had to alter the tube sockets:

I'm basically done with the side greeblies. I just need to do a couple things and I'll share pics of those soon :)

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:43 pm

From Jan. 15th, 2008:

Even with scaling it down and sacrificing some small detail and dimensions it still looks really close.

I do plan to offer all those parts as kit options. It takes a long time for me to prepare a kit but it's worth it in the end.

So far I have over 100 photos to put on the tutorial CD so I still need to go through those and add text as well.

Here are the sides:

Here are the kits.

Left side:

Right side:

Now I can't do any more until I get the car. I'm waiting to see if a trade deal is going to come through otherwise I'll have to wait until I can afford the car and all of the electronics.

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:45 pm

From April 13, 2008:

I think I'm about there. I just need some sounds for it now

It runs pretty good. I chased the dog and cat around last night :twisted: The motor has a whine that is irritating so I may need to try and fix that... replace it or something. I might end up needing longer lasting batteries but we'll see.

The magnet system had to be modified just a bit but it seems to work great so far. Using two magnets to stick to each other was overkill. The earth magnets are way too strong. I ended up screwing some finish washers down into the resin rails and gluing one set of earth magnets to the shell. I like bojangles' method of using cabinet door catches too and will keep that in mind for a back up plan just in cas

Postby MonCal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Update 11/15/13:

I am going to be making the rack kits in full scale, largely because of my landspeeder build.

Josh, Devin, and I have been working on the 3d files and will be 3d printing the masters and then I'll be able to offer the kits in full scale. I'm also going to be having the metal piece cut and bent at a waterjet company so we don't have to build them by hand anymore...yay. Another side benefit, the cylinders are also on the E-11 blaster that the stormtroopers carry.

Here are some pics of the original parts on the landspeeder:

This is from the original mouse droid from the LFL exhibit:

Here you can see where the cylinders go on the E-11 blaster:

I have a contact in the UK "trying" to track down and discover parts for me. He sent me this photo:

Way to get me excited. I asked him what it was from so I would have a lead to research and he didn't know. He said he literally tripped over it in his barn. ...ugh.. ;)

Return to Build Threads